About the Role
The Safeguarding and Wellbeing Coordinator will be the point of reference on safeguarding and wellbeing for all Aga Khan schools and settings. S/he will build capacity in others and be a source of expertise as our schools and settings provide a safe, secure environment for learning. S/he will monitor, evaluate and report on safeguarding across all Aga Khan schools. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that the different aspects of safeguarding children are coordinated and systematically embedded into AKS organizational systems and processes
The Safeguarding and Wellbeing Coordinator will develop and oversee the AKS approach to physical and mental health and wellbeing, liaising with Aga Khan Health Services, Aga Khan University and Aga Khan Foundation to ensure our students are supported by an integrated approach, using all resources available through AKDN. Liaison with the Quality-of-Life Unit will be needed to monitor progress on quality of life and wellbeing in key locations.
- Establish a common understanding of safeguarding provision across AKS
- Support the implementation of the safeguarding policy and operating guidelines across all AK schools.
- Give technical advice and expertise on safeguarding and wellbeing and how to build capacity in the field
Design, conduct and/or source training on safeguarding as well as on-going refresher training for country safeguarding leads and other stakeholders as required
- Ensure AK schools have an agreed set of mandatory school policies to enable safeguarding practices
- Coordinate with related AKDN agencies to ensure synergy and the best possible use of AKDN resources to support health and wellbeing
- Ensure a regular safeguarding evaluation is carried out by each country to identify, mitigate and monitor significant risks and develop a related safeguarding action plan.
- Analyze annual country safeguarding reports from each country to identify trends, potential issues, risks and provide recommendations.
- Act as a source of support, advice and expertise for country safeguarding leads
- Coordinate with country safeguarding leads to ensure personnel files are kept up to date and all information is kept confidential and stored securely.
- Support country safeguarding leads to develop strategies for establishing or strengthening the means of disclosure to support early intervention.
- Work with country safeguarding leads to ensure the safeguarding policy is reviewed annually (as a minimum) and the procedures and implementation are updated and reviewed systematically
- Update and maintain relevant digital documentation for all countries to access.
- Provide support to manage regular safeguarding workshops with all country safeguarding leads.
- Keep up to date with best practices within the field and work with safeguarding teams across the AKDN network to participate in continuous improvement.
- Represent AKS in global safeguarding fora and AKDN-wide meetings as required.
- Work with counsellors to create, implement and sustain a whole-school approach to mental health and wellbeing
- Liaise with relevant local staff where safeguarding concerns are linked to mental health
- Liaise with sister AKDN agencies, school counsellors and staff to develop a professional learning community across AKS designed to share best practice
- Bachelor’s degree in in Business Administration, Psychology, Sociology or any other related field. Professional qualifications in the field of health care or counselling
- Knowledge and practical experience of safeguarding practices globally
- High level of drive and personal motivation, coupled with the presence required to interact effectively with senior personnel in country and across the AKS system and the wider AKDN.
- Excellent oral and written language proficiency in English
- Programme and project management
- Conducting research, synthesizing, and applying complex information effectively
- Data analysis and using schools’ performance data to inform decision-making
- High degree of professionalism, commitment and integrity.
- Cultural awareness, understanding and sensitivity.
How to Apply