Head of Regulatory Compliance - ()
Equity Bank is one of the region’s leading banks whose purpose is to transform the lives and livelihoods of the people of Africa socially and economically by availing them modern and inclusive financial services that maximize their opportunities. With a strong footprint in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan and DRC Congo, Equity Bank is now home to over 12 million customers - the largest customer base in Africa. Currently the Bank is seeking additional talent to serve in the role outlined below.
The Head of Regulatory Compliance EBKL shall support the Head of Compliance EBKL working with other Risk & Compliance and business leaders to manage the strategy and execution of the EBKL’s Compliance Risk Framework. The role supports the effective management of Regulatory Compliance related risks in EBKL and provides pro-active, accurate and timely advice to enable the bank to operate in accordance with regulatory requirements, global best practice and applicable Group standards. The role requires good knowledge of Compliance Risk Frameworks, the potential sources of compliance risk and collaboration with other leaders in the first and second lines of defense to identify, assess, monitor and address such activities.
Location – This position is located at our Head Office in Nairobi.
- Support the Head of Compliance EBKL to implement and maintain effective EBKL Compliance risk framework and provide strategic direction in how they are managed.
- Deliver regulatory advice to stakeholders and manage second line processes to ensure privacy & law enforcement, regulatory conduct & reporting, new business & new products, customer complaints, consumer protection, customer conduct, Anti Bribery and Corruption, market conduct, product quality, data quality, and data privacy compliance on an ongoing basis in all business activities and in line with risk appetite.
- Ensure bank’s compliance with Common Reporting Standards and FATCA.
- Drive effectiveness of EBKL’s Compliance Risk Framework by incorporating effective and practical advice into sound early-stage second line challenge.
- Support the rollout and implementation of effective Compliance training across the EBKL.
- Assist with the EBKL’s approach, including an effective EBKL’s Obligations Register, for the timely identification of opportunities to enhance the management and oversight of Compliance risk, and ensure appropriate action is taken by relevant parties to deliver improvements.
- Work with relevant stakeholders in EBKL to ensure that the required controls to mitigate compliance risk are embedded into new products and initiatives.
- Support the EBKL Head of Compliance in the development and implementation of EBKL Government & Regulatory Relationship Program.
- Implement a process that identifies and manages potential Compliance risk from regulatory and geo-political changes and provides assurance that changes have been effectively embedded into the relevant Compliance business processes.
- Broaden internal and external networks and keep up to date with regulatory requirements and industry best practice to continuously improve the effectiveness of EBKL compliance risk management.
- Requires 6+ years of professional experience and 3+ years of management experience
- No less than 6 years of compliance management experience, with significant portion in Compliance risk within a large international bank or relevant regulators.
- Strong understanding of Regulatory Compliance and requirements within the banking industry.
- Critical thinking skills to understand and analyze complex problems.
- Effective communicator with strong writing and verbal abilities to communicate across all levels of the Group.
- Ability to develop strong relationships and collaborate with senior business and function leaders to influence change
- Proven focus on deliverables, organized, and ability to manage multiple high priority deliverables
- Self-starter, highly organized, and detailed-oriented
- Excellent facilitation and presentation skills
- Exercise high level of discretion and confidentiality due to the sensitive nature of the scope of work
- Extremely detail oriented with ability to elevate details into strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree in business related field plus relevant professional qualifications such as CAMS, ICA, CPA, CPS.
- Law degree is an added advantage.
- Ability to handle multiple requests, assess priorities, and achieve solutions under deadlines, with minimal direct supervision
- High degree of curiosity and creativity in a highly regulated, dynamic environment.
- Ability to focus on outcomes while demonstrating flexibility to changing requirements.
- Ability to work with partners at all levels, including internal and external legal counsels and consultants.
- Poise and tact; Calm under pressure
: Team Leader
: Day Job