About Apollo Agriculture:
Apollo Agriculture (a venture-backed scaleup, please see here
the Series B raise overview) is the commercial farming platform for small-scale farmers that helps farmers maximize their profits. Apollo uses agronomic machine learning, remote sensing, and mobile phones to deliver financing, high-quality farm products, and optimized advice that can more than double farm profitability, starting in Kenya. Our team brings together technology and operations experience from The Climate Corporation (acquired for ~US$1bn), Acre, Google, and One Acre Fund. We value evangelical pursuit of mission with a pragmatic approach, humility in the face of challenge, active discussion of disagreements, and considerate listening
About the Role:
Apollo Agriculture is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented accounting professional with a passion for our mission to join our Finance team as Accounting Manager. As the Accounting Manager at Apollo Agriculture, you will be a key player in our Finance Department, responsible for overseeing the day-to-day accounting operations with an unwavering commitment to excellence. Your role will involve managing a team, ensuring compliance with accounting standards, and providing valuable financial insights to support our organization's growth and success. You will work closely with the Finance Manager and the Head of Group Accounting & Tax to ensure things run smoothly and help the team to succeed. If you love numbers, have an eye for detail and are passionate about working for a scale up that’s changing farmers’ lives, then this role is for you.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reporting: This role reports to the Finance Manager.
- Accounting Operations Oversight: Oversee the day-to-day accounting operations while supervising a team of finance assistants. This will include ensuring that all month-end, and year-end reports are completed accurately and on time.
- Statutory & Tax Compliance: Ensure that statutory filings are completed and paid on time for all the Apollo entities. This includes preparing VAT returns for Apollo’s Kenya and Zambia entities and ensuring that yearly reconciliations are done.
- Audit Support: Take the leading role in audit processes, while collaborating with auditors to ensure timely availability of requested documents.
- Budget Preparation: Work closely with the Finance Manager and the Head of Group Accounting & Tax to prepare the annual company budget.
- Projects: Together with the Finance Manager, identify priority projects for the finance department and ensure successful implementation of these projects.
- Financial Reporting: Prepare group consolidated financial statements accurately and in a timely manner.
- Revenue Calculations: Accurately calculate revenue numbers from the database and ensure the correct booking is done in the accounting system. Related to this, you will be responsible for ensuring accurate financial information is extracted from Apollo’s core database
- Process Improvements: Review current processes and recommend improvements.
- Coordination with Third Party Accountants: Coordinate with 3rd party accountants in the US and NL in ensuring correct accounts have been prepared.
- Industry Knowledge: Stay updated on the latest developments in the finance industry and ensure this information is disseminated across the organization.
- Team Management: Manage a team of finance assistants, including hiring, motivating and delegating tasks as required. As Accounting Manager, you will also be responsible for your team’s performance management.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA, ACCA or MBA preferred.
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience with a portion of it being in a supervisory role
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles, standards and regulations
- Superior data management and data analysis skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities across all level of an organization
- Strong leadership skills with a dedication to driving and achieving results
- Knowledge of employee relationship building and performance management techniques
- Experience in working with accounting software and databases
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Detail-oriented with a passion for accuracy
- Passion for Apollo’s mission